Thursday, March 17, 2011

Tongue-tied... My daughter?? No way!!!

Carl and I discovered last week that Miss Elsa was born with a condition known as "tongue-tied". Anyone who knows me may chuckle at this notion as I can be quite the chatterbox given the occasion.

Unfortunately those who are "tongue-tied" not only can develop speech difficulties but it can also cause dental problems and, as what was currently plaguing Elsa, troubles nursing.

If it weren't for a wonderful lactation-consultant-in-training that has been coming to our house on a regular basis, we wouldn't have caught the condition until it had created a much worse problem. The LC has been weighing Elsa at each visit and last week we found that she had only gained 2 ounces over 2 weeks. Babies at this age should be gaining at least 0.5 ounces per day! As you can imagine, Carl and I were instantly concerned. And I, being my typical self, automatically when into worst-case-scenario mode, concocting the worse possible causes for the sudden lack in weight gain.

Thankfully, the LC was able to schedule an appointment with one of her fellow co-workers for the next day. Her co-worker has been working as an LC for quite sometime and automatically was able to diagnose Elsa as being tongue-tied. We scheduled a doctors appointment for the very next day and now Elsa's tongue is free to move about as she pleases.

I'm sure that once Elsa reaches the teenage years, Carl and I will be looking for some reverse-procedure to help control that tongue! But for now, we're happy that our baby is healthy and happy and is starting to gain that baby fat that everyone keeps talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment